Location: Downtown Tbilisi or Polling Stations on Election Day, October 28
Event: The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that impromptu or unannounced rallies or protests could occur in the days leading up to, or during the Georgian Presidential Election, scheduled for Sunday, October 28. The City of Tbilisi has reported possible activity beginning today, October 19. This may affect traffic in downtown Tbilisi, especially along Rustaveli Avenue. Additionally, due to large crowds outside polling stations on Election Day, there will be an increased chance for political tensions to become violent. In the past, there have been reports of violence near political party headquarters and polling stations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration activity.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia
(995)(32) 227-7724 (M-F 8:30-5:30)
(995)(32) 227-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Georgia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Please see U.S. Embassy Tbilisi Security Message on Demonstrations: https://ge.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/