Location: Downtown Tbilisi, Georgia
Event: U.S. government personnel are advised of a planned protest tonight at 6pm in front of Parliament on Rustaveli Ave. The protesters are demanding the resignation of the current government over the violence that occurred on July 5 and July 6, and specifically regarding the violence against journalists. One journalist who was injured during the protest has died, leading the family and his employer to blame the government. Clashes between protesters and government security forces are possible. Additionally, far-right extremists and other groups that are responsible for the recent violence in Tbilisi may decide to launch counter-demonstrations. Based on recent events, U.S. government personnel are advised to anticipate violence at this gathering.
Exercise caution when traveling downtown and avoid the gathering.
Large crowds are unpredictable and confrontations and violence between event attendees, counterdemonstrators, and police can occur without warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas on the dates/times described above.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your whereabouts.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia
(995)(32) 227-7724 (M-F 8:30-5:30)
(995)(32) 227-7000 (after hours)
- State Department â€“ Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Georgia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter