Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Tbilisi and Batumi, Georgia:
- Tbilisi (7pm): downtown near Dinamo Sports Arena, and then a march via Aghmashenebeli Avenue towards Marjanishvili Square
- Batumi (4pm): Tbeli Abuseridze Church on Javakhishvili Street, then moving towards Batumi City Hall Rose Garden, then along Kutaisi Street towards downtown
Event: The U.S. Embassy is aware that rallies related to the anniversary of the Battle of Didgori (Didgoroba) are planned today, Sunday, August 12, by far right leaning and/or nationalistic groups in downtown Tbilisi at 7pm, and in Batumi at 4pm. Didgoroba marks the Kingdom of Georgia’s victory at the battle of Mount Didgori on August 12, 1121. During past activities, members or sympathizers of these groups have had violent confrontations with police and business owners along the march route. U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid those areas during this period.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia
(995)(32) 227-7724 (M-F 8:30-5:30)
(995)(32) 227-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444