Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.
Georgia provides a relatively healthy continental climate, so tropical diseases – such as malaria – are not a public health problem.
If you plan to be in Georgia for more than a few days or travel outside of Tbilisi extensively, you should receive rabies, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis A and B, and typhoid immunizations. Environmental sanitation, food safety, and the availability of piped potable water remain problematic and unpredictable from day-to-day. Warnings of sanitary system failures or other health risks are rarely issued. Americans are advised to be cautious in choosing what to eat or drink because prevention is far better than having to deal with the consequences of risk-taking. Diarrheal diseases – such as salmonellosis, shigellosis, and giardiasis – are common among the imprudent. Yet, the American community largely retains the good health it enjoyed back home, even while sampling a variety of tasty and nutritious freshly – prepared local foods and specialties. Thus, caution and prudence rather than total avoidance and fearfulness are recommended.
Large numbers of stray dogs roam the streets foraging for food, and the risk of a dog bite is real if one ventures too close or tries to jog in their presence. Having to deal with the consequences of a dog bite, including the problem of rabies prophylaxis, is best avoided, so reasonable caution is advised.
Probably the two greatest health risks to Americans in Georgia are car accidents and passive cigarette smoke. Georgian driving is notoriously bad, the accident rate is much higher than Americans encounter in the United States, and the local capacity to deal with medical trauma is limited. Pedestrians should be alert when crossing the street because drivers often ignore stop signs and traffic signals. Smoking is popular in Georgia, and there are few separate accommodations for non-smokers in restaurants and other public facilities. Non-smokers bothered by passive cigarette smoke should, however, feel free to politely seek ways to minimize their exposure.
The number for Tbilisi city ambulance is: 112
Please note that the dispatcher speaks Georgian and Russian, but will transfer a call to an English-speaking operator.
Physicians able to treat English speaking patients:
(updated in October 2020)
ALBIUS – Dental Center
Professional Association Membership; Board Membership:
Georgian Dental Association (GSA), World Dental Federation (FDI), Women Dentists
American Hospital Tbilisi
- Heart, Vascular, and Lung Diseases
- Neuroscience & Neurology
- Advanced and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Orthopedy & Traumatology center
- Diagnostic Center.(Biochemistry Lab, Immunology Lab, Microbiology Lab, Pathology Lab, 128 slice Computer Tomography, 3TESLA MRI, X-RAY Fluoroscopy, Ultrasounds)
- Chemotherapy Unit
- Emergency 24/7 (Pediatric/Adult)
- Plastic & Esthetic surgery
- Women Health
- GI Unit (Gastroscopy, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy)
- Heart & Brain Angio Labs
- Check-Up Center
- International Patients Center
American Hospital Tbilisi
American Medical Centers, Georgia
American Medical Centers Georgia, an American-owned and managed clinic of American Medical Centers, is a 24-hour on-call urgent care, assistance, and specialty care clinic staffed with international and Georgian doctors. We currently have two facilities: in Tbilisi and Batumi.
American Medical Centers Tbilisi benefits:
- 24/7 emergency medical care and home / on-call consultations
- Direct Insurance Billing to over 40 top global insurance and assistance providers
- Family medicine, Pediatrics, Gynecology, and over a dozen specialty departments
- Emergency medical evacuation by air ambulance, hospitalization, and coordination
- Referral to Europe and the US’s top international centers of medical excellence
- Affordable annual health plans designed for individual or corporate clients
- A world-class team of national and international specialist consultants
AMC has been operating in the region since 1996 and today employs over 200 care professionals practicing in every major medical specialty. In our twenty years, we have sought to hire and retain the absolute best medical professionals available, providing value and expertise with every patient visit. The AMC healthcare system serves over 10,000 patients a year. In every AMC medical center, we know that we are only as good as our care providers. That is why we commit to the best foreign and national medical consultants in their respective fields, and a continued promise to the communities we serve of striving to be better one patient at a time.
Medical Specialty: Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Gynecology, ENT, Physiotherapy, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Trauma, Gastroenterology, Orthopedics, and most specialties
Air Ambulance/MedEvac/Medical Escort Providers
DENTA PLUS – Dental Clinic
List of Dentists:
Natela Shatirishvili – General dentist/Dental Therapist/
Inna Alkhazova – General dentist/Dental Therapist/
Natia Tatarashvili – Orthodontist
Mariam Iantbelidze – Prosthodontist
Grigol Barabadze – Surgeon; Implantologist; Prosthodontist
Sopio Chikobava – Maxilo-facial surgeon; Implantologist
International Medical Support Services (IMSS)
- Family Medicine
- Ante-Natal care by US and EU protocols
- Domiciliary Home visit by US or EU trained English speaking doctors
- Ambulance Evacuation (within Georgia and International)
- OGUK certification
- Pre-employment/deployment screenings
- On-site diagnostics
MediClub Georgia Co. Ltd – Medical Service Company offers a comprehensive, flexible, international-standard medical care 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
First established in April 1999, we remain committed to the continuous improvement of all aspects of our health care provision and provide premium quality general practice, a second-to-none 24-hour medical emergency service, and occupational health care and advice for a wide range of clients. Customer choice is essential and they have the option of consulting one of our highly skilled Georgian doctors or our expatriate physician. All national doctors are fluent in English.
Summary of the benefits of using the MediClub Georgia Health Service:
- A choice of highly trained national or expatriate doctor
- Friendly flexible family health care, including ante-natal care, immunizations, child screening, and family planning
- Exercise & sports medicine advice
- 24-hour emergency service
- Access to a doctor 24-hours a day for advice and medical consultation
- Inpatient care (including intensive care)
- Access to quality-assured clinical investigation & imaging (e.g. MRI/CT/Ultrasound)
- Provision of quality-assured medications
Medical Center CITO
“CITO” Medical Centre provides international standard out-patient medical care.
We have been continually expanding the range and scope of our services to meet the needs of our clients
The full range of medical services in “CITO” Medical Center includes:
- Consultations with highly qualified physicians in different specialties.
- A regular general practice including pre-employment and general health screens.
- Wide range of laboratory investigations (ISO 9001-2008 certification).
- Clinical investigations such as Ultrasound, X-ray, ECG, Stress test, etc.
- Routine immunizations as well as vaccinations for international travelers.
- Routine antenatal care.
- Quality guaranteed Prescription Medicines.
Cito Baby: completed pediatric care for infants and kids. Tel: (995 32) 223 24 80
Cito Dent: full range of high-quality dental services. Tel: (995 32) 294 57 71/72
CITO 2: working environment, food, and water safety- microbiological tests according to ISO standards. Tel: (995 32) 229 71 27
All services are offered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including domiciliary visits.
The National Laboratory of Genetics
Address: #8 M. Lebanidze (former Borjomi Street) Street, Tbilisi
Telephone: 032 205 20 88
Medical Laboratory, Molecular diagnostics, DNA analysis, NGS Testing, Next Generation Sequencing