NASA Astronaut Heide Piper Promotes Female Empowerment and Careers in Science as Part of the U.S. Embassy’s 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign (November 29)
Heide Piper, NASA astronaut and U.S. Navy Captain from Minnesota, will visit Georgia December 2-8 as the second speaker in the U.S. Embassy’s 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence campaign. Heide will talk about the challenges she faced working in male-dominated fields, and encourage young women to follow their dreams. Heide will share the highlights of her career as a Navy salvage scuba diver and the crewmember of five space shuttle missions. She will present awards to notable and courageous female alumni of the Aviation University in Tbilisi and a the Maritime Academy in Batumi, and hold lectures in Telavi, Zugdidi, and Batumi.
Heide will participate in the following public engagements:
- Guest speaker at San Diego State University Georgia’s STEM Academy, GITA Tech Park, Saturday, December 2. This free, all-day workshop is for 12th grade students interested in science and engineering. Register here: https://georgia.sdsu.edu/stem-academy-registration/. Heide will speak at 17:00.
- Screening of the IMAX documentary A Beautiful Planet (45 minutes), Cavea Cinemas, East Point Mall, Sunday, December 3, at 14:00, followed by a Q&A with Heide Piper. In English with Georgian subtitles. Tickets available on https://www.kinoafisha.ge.
- Judge of the U.S. Embassy’s Spacehackathon science competition, Fabrika Hostel, Sunday, December 3, at 18:00.
- Public lecture, Youth Palace of Georgia, Monday December 4, at 18:00. Free and open to the public.
- Award ceremony for Batumi Maritime Academy alumna and presentation at the Radisson Hotel Batumi, Friday, December 8, at 16:30.
Search for the hashtag #WomanInGeorgia (#ქალისაქართველოში) to discover the ways women of all ages and backgrounds contribute to the culture and economy of Georgia.
For press inquiries and a complete schedule, please contact email@example.com.
Click here to download Heide Piper’s Bio (PDF, 137 Kb)