Warsaw, Poland – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after the Congressional delegation concluded its visit to Poland and Ukraine:
“Today, in Warsaw, our Congressional delegation was honored to meet with President Andrzej Duda and express our thanks for the generosity and hospitality extended by the people of Poland to the people of Ukraine. We discussed the centrality of the U.S.-Poland partnership in delivering security, economic and humanitarian aid to Ukraine, as well as the importance of bolstering the NATO alliance to counter Putin’s aggression. Our Members expressed our commitment to continue working together to deepen our bilateral relationship so that we advance our mutual security.
“Our delegation was also pleased to meet with Marshall Elżbieta Witek, Speaker of the Sejm, and Members of the Sejm to discuss the shared commitment and work of our legislatures to further strengthen the important bonds between the U.S. and Poland.
“It was especially meaningful to visit sites fraught with history to the Polish people. Our Members had the solemn privilege of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We were deeply moved by this striking monument to many of the brave Polish soldiers who gave their lives for freedom and democracy – not only for their nation but for the world. Next, we laid daffodils at the Memorial of the Ghetto Uprising, prayed for those murdered in the Holocaust, and renewed our vow: Never Again. We visited the Museum of the Polish Jews, located at the site of the Warsaw Ghetto: land scarred by the horror unleashed by the Nazis and hallowed by the heroism of the men and women of the Uprising.
“Throughout our meetings, those we met with were grateful to our CODEL Members for the knowledge, experience and commitment they brought to the challenges we face. I am proud that the Members of our delegation served as strong representatives of the American commitment to the NATO alliance and to Ukraine. Our delegation returns to Washington with further insight and deeply inspired from our engagements, as we continue our work to further support Ukraine, so that Democracy triumphs over dictatorship.”
Members of the delegation:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Chairman Jim McGovern, Chair of the House Committee on Rules; Co-Chair of the Congressional-Executive Commission on China; Co-Chair of the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission
- Chairman Gregory Meeks, Chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Chairman Adam Schiff, Chair of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Chair of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations and Related Programs
- Congressman Bill Keating, Chair of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy and Environment; Member of the House Armed Services Committee
- Congressman Jason Crow, Member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; Member of the House Armed Services Committee