An individual may exercise the right to formally renounce U.S. citizenship in accordance with Section 349(a)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Renunciation of U.S. citizenship is a very serious and irrevocable exercise and should therefore only be undertaken after careful consideration of the consequences. You must demonstrate you are fully aware of the consequences before you receive an appointment. Please read all of the information below on both this website and the provided links.
Renunciation of U.S. citizenship in Georgia is by appointment only at the U.S. Consular Section in Tbilisi.
The American Citizen Services unit is currently providing routine services, including for loss of nationality cases. However, capacity remains limited and wait times for appointments may be longer than usual. We may need to cancel or postpone appointments with little notice due to COVID-19 conditions and our resulting staffing and resource limitations. To request an appointment for a loss of nationality case, please email email@example.com.
Once you have an interview date, please review and complete (but do not sign):
Form DS-4081 (PDF 199 KB): Statement of Understanding Concerning Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. citizenship; and
Form DS-4080 (PDF 263 KB): Oath/Affirmation of Renunciation of Nationality United States.
Bring the original documents with you to your interview; you will need to sign them in the presence of a U.S. consular officer at your renunciation appointment. At that time you will also be required to relinquish your current U.S. passport and present your passport of your other nationality.
You may choose to submit a separate written explanation of your reasons for renunciation at your appointment.
In addition, please be prepared to provide the following required information:
- Your current address, telephone number and e-mail address
- Your full name as listed in your U.S. passport
- All previous names that you have used, if any
- a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4080
- a scan or photocopy of your completed but not signed Form DS-4081
- Manner in which you acquired U.S. citizenship
- Date and place of birth (city and state/country)
- Your most recent U.S. Passport Number
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Last known U.S. address
- Your other nationality
- The passport of your other nationality
- Date when you acquired your other nationality
- Manner in which you acquired your other nationality (e.g. by birth, naturalization, etc. If you naturalized provide the date and place.)
- Please list all periods of time that you resided in the U.S., from birth until present
For more information regarding renunciation and dual citizenship, please refer to travel.state.gov.
Please note you will also be required to file IRS form 8854 directly with the Internal Revenue Service. For additional details and to download the form, please see the IRS website.
The administrative processing fee for formal renunciation of U.S. citizenship is USD2,350. Cash (USD or local currently equivalent) and credit card payments are accepted.