Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia (December 31, 2021)
Location: Georgia, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season there is the potential for increased crime and acts of violent extremism in Georgia.
Planned attacks and criminal activity often occur in crowded public locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, schools, and other areas frequented by tourists. Public events, such as demonstrations, holiday events, and celebratory gatherings are also at a higher risk for violence.
U.S. government personnel are advised to exercise vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds. Further, they are advised to exercise general safety precautions in all holiday celebrations, including by using or observing fireworks in conformity with all local regulations.
Actions to Take:
· Review your personal security plans.
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· U.S. Embassy Tbilisi, Georgia
(995) (32) 227 7724 (M-F 8:30-5:30)
· Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts