Location: Downtown Tbilisi, Georgia
Event: Beginning on July 1, 2021, Tbilisi Pride and other LGBTQI+ organizations and supporters will host several Pride Week events around the city. Media reports anti-LGBTQI+ activists’ plan to disrupt this year’s Pride events, and there is a potential of violent confrontations. Many anti-LGBTQI+ activists have also expressed anti-American views.
U.S. government personnel are prohibited from participating in Pride Week activities, unless as part of official duties, due to security concerns.
- A Pride Week movie screening will be held on July 1, 2021 at 18:30.
- An outdoor concert will be held on July 3, 2021 at 13:00.
- Events will conclude with a “March for Dignity” in downtown Tbilisi on July 5, 2021, beginning at 18:00 at Rustaveli Metro stop and ending at Dedaena Park.
Police will likely close roads and set up checkpoints, making travel around the city difficult. U.S. government personnel are advised to plan accordingly as there will be a heavy police presence and traffic delays.
- Anti-LGBTQI+ activists announced a protest at the EU Mission on June 30, 2021 at noon with plans to gather outside the U.S. Embassy afterwards. Access to the Embassy compound may be disrupted.
- One organization announced the formation of “patrols” around Tbilisi beginning July 1, 2021 indicating they will use violence against Pride Week participants and those supporting the LGBTQI+ community.
- On July 4, 2021, the Alliance of Patriots (AoP), a far-right political party opposed to LGBTQI+ rights, scheduled a protest to take place near the Opera House on Rustaveli Avenue.
- Anti-LGBTQI+ supporters will stage tents at the Rustaveli Metro to “occupy” the area in an effort to prevent the March from commencing on July 5, 2021.
Large crowds are unpredictable and confrontations and violence between event attendees, counterdemonstrators, and police can occur without warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas on the dates/times described above.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your whereabouts.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates