Welfare & Whereabouts

If your family needs to contact you because of an emergency at home or because they are worried about your welfare and can not reach you directly, they may call the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services:

From within the U.S. 1-888-407-4747
From outside the U.S. 1-202-501-4444

The State Department will relay the message to the Consular Section. We will try to locate you to pass on the message, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, will report back to your family. Enrolling with the Consular Section upon arrival greatly facilitates our ability to locate you in the event of an emergency.