Apply for a Child’s (under age 16) Passport

Please note the following important information for minor (under age 16) passports:

  • Routine passport services are available by appointment only. Click here to make an appointment. Each applicant needs a separate appointment.
  • Personal appearance of parent(s) or legal guardian(s):
    • Both parents (or a legal guardian with documentation of that status) are generally required to appear with a minor and must be listed in the minor’s online appointment request.
    • Other non-applicants are not permitted in the waiting room, even if they are listed in the online application request.
    • If one parent is not physically present, a notarized form DS-3053 should accompany the application. If the non-appearing parent is not in the United States, the form may be notarized at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. A photocopy of both sides of the non-applying parent’s passport or photo ID should accompany form DS-3053.
    • If the written consent of the non-applying parent cannot be obtained in a timely manner, form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) should be submitted with the minor’s passport application.
    • For more information please visit DS-3053/DS-5525 FAQs page.
  • Please present the following at the minor’s appointment:
    • Completed passport application form DS-11
    • For a child born in the United States – U.S. birth certificate (original for first time passport applicant; copy for passport renewal)
    • For a child born outside the United States – Consular Report of Birth Abroad (original for first time passport applicant; copy for passport renewal) and foreign birth certificate (original for first time passport applicant; copy for passport renewal)
    • For a renewal application, minor’s current U.S. passport, valid or expired
    • Parents’ or guardian’s passports:
      • If the parents have authorized a legal guardian to apply for a passport on behalf of their child, the legal guardian must submit a passport or photo ID and a notarized power of attorney in English that specifically authorizes him/her to apply for the passport on behalf of the child
    • If one or both parents are not appearing, form DS-3053 for each non-appearing parent or form DS-5525 as appropriate (see above)
    • One photo 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) taken on a white background within the last six months; no glasses
    • Fee of USD135; cash (USD or local currently equivalent) and credit card payments are accepted
  • Progression photos of minor’s development, which demonstrate the child in the old passport is the same child presented at the time of interview; generally, one photo from each year since the prior passport was issued is sufficient.