Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. Parents should contact the Consular Section as soon as possible after the child’s birth. Several documents are required for the issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which becomes the child’s proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. For more information regarding a Consular Report of Birth, please visit the State Department website.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America and to make an appointment, please click here

It is mandatory to include on the online appointment request the names of all non-applicants (parents and guardians of a minor) who plan to accompany the applicant to the Consular section; only those whose names are on the appointment list will be granted entry.
The U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child must appear in person.  Please provide the documents and forms listed below.

  1. Child’s birth certificate: one original and one certified copy, with English translation.
  2. Proof of parents’ citizenship:For U.S. citizen parent(s):
    • U.S. passport; or
    • U.S. birth certificate, showing filing date and issuing office’s seal; or
    • U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

    For alien parent:

    • identity document (passport, citizenship id card, etc.)
  3. Parent’s marriage certificate (if married): one original and one certified copy, with English translationProof of termination of all previous marriages, if any (divorce or death certificate)
  4. Applicable forms, photos, fees:
    • Completed application for Consular Report of Birth DS-2029 (PDF 62 KB) (do not sign it, as your oath will be taken by the Consul)
    • Completed passport application, Form DS-11 (do not sign it, as your oath will be taken by the Consul)
    • Application for Social Security Number Form SS-5 (PDF 132 KB)
    • Two identical passport photos, 2”x 2” (5cm x 5 cm), color with light background, taken within the past six months (See our photo specifications page)
    • Fees of $205. CRBA fee- $100, Passport fee- $105 (accepted cash only).
  5. Proof of parent’s ability to transmit U.S. citizenship:When a child has one U.S. citizen and one alien parent, the Consular Section will need proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s extended residence in the U.S.  Such proof may be in the form of school, tax, employment, travel, or other records.


For children born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father, the father must formally acknowledge parentage and agree to support the child through age 18 as well as fulfill the U.S. physical presence requirement stated above. Form DS-5507 (PDF 36 KB) applies.