Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

Please note the following important information:

  • Routine passport services, including for a lost or stolen passport, are available by appointment only. Click here to make an appointment. Each applicant needs a separate appointment.
  • If you have an emergency, an emergency passport (EPDP) can be issued, usually on the same day that you apply but sometimes the following day. EPDPs are valid for up to a year but may be exchanged within a year of issuance, for no additional fee, for a full-validity passport. Click here to view the instructions.
  • If your passport is lost or stolen, you should report the loss/theft to the local police. We recommend that you submit your application for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.
  • To replace a lost or stolen passport, follow the general instructions for an adult or minor passport application and in addition, the following special instructions:
    • Use form DS-11 (not form DS-82)
    • Complete form DS-64 (Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport)
    • Bring some form of U.S.-government issued identification (e.g., driver’s license, residence card), as well as documentation that establishes your citizenship (e.g. birth or naturalization certificate, an expired passport, etc.)
    • Current fees are USD165 (adult) or USD135 (minor under age 16); cash (USD or local currently equivalent) and credit card payments are accepted
    • Bring a copy of the police report, if available
  • Passports reported lost or stolen at the consular section are invalid and cannot be used for travel.