Replacing an emergency passport with a full-validity passport

If you were issued an emergency limited validity passport by an Embassy or Consulate because of an urgent need to travel, we encourage you to replace it with a full-validity passport immediately upon completion of your trip.

You must submit the following to replace an emergency limited validity passport:

Please note the following:

You may replace the limited validity passport free of charge with the full validity passport within one year of the issuance of the limited passport.

If you received your limited validity passport more than one year ago, you will need to follow the instructions listed at our section on Adult Passports and Passports for Minors. In that case you will have to pay the full fee for the new passport.